For our anniversary this year, Jeremy and I decided to purchase a small CSA share. We ordered from Bray Family Farms, a local farm near where we live. Last Saturday was the first pickup, and I’m excited to see what comes for the rest of season. I felt a bit like I was playing Iron Chef in trying to figure out what I was going to do with my box contents, and I thought it would be fun to track how we cook and eat everything. Unfortunately, I decided to do this after we had eaten most of the first box, so there’s no picture of that one.
Here’s what we got (and what we did with it):
- 1 zucchini (sliced thin, seasoned with Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning, and grilled as a side)
- 1 pattypan squash (sliced into rounds, seasoned with Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning, and grilled as a side)
- 3 pickling cucumbers (sliced and eaten raw with a little salt and pepper)
- 1 pound or so of new red potatoes (I made this Tempeh Curry Recipe)
- 1 head of cabbage (half used to make this Spicy Cilantro-Peanut slaw, the other half is TBD for next week).
- 2 crookneck squash (sliced thin and fried)
- 2 peaches (eaten out of hand)
- 3 fairly mature spring onions (kicking those to next week)
I can’t wait to tear into this week’s box. Have you purchased a CSA share this year or in the past? If so, what do you like about it?